Questão 31 3640114EEAR 2019/2
Read the text to answer the question.
Grounding is a common form of punishment for young
people who disobey their parents. Grounding means that
they are not allowed to go out, after school or on weekends,
for a certain period of time. This could be from one day to
 ____ month or more, depending upon the gravity of the
offense. During that time, though, they must continue to go to
school, to work if they have a job, and do other errands
approved by their parents.
____ term “grounding” is ____ aviation term. A plane is
 grounded when it is not allowed to fly for any reason.
Similarly, pilots or other flying personnel are grounded when
they are not allowed to fly because of illness or for disobeying
Adapted from Life in the USA: A Simplified reader on American Culture, book 1.
The word “must” (line 6), underlined in the text, is used to express:
Questão 30 399036EEAR 2018/1
The modal verbs underlined in each sentence express:
1 – She might be at the party.
2 – Can you drive a dump truck?
3 – He mustn’t sleep during the class.
4 – You ought to learn Aviation English.
Questão 27 650722FITS 2018/1
It is said that your body can’t use the protein from
beans unless you eat them with rice. Proteins — which
our bodies need to make everything from new muscle
to hormones — are made up of different combinations
 of 20 amino acids. Thing is, our bodies can make only
11 of these amino acids; we must get the other nine
from food. Animal-based protein-rich foods like eggs
and meat provide all nine of these “essential” amino
acids, but nearly all plant foods are low in at least one.
 Experts used to say that to get what your body
needs to make proteins, you needed to pair plant-based
foods with complementary sets of amino acids — like
rice and beans. Now they know that you don’t have to
eat those foods at the same meal. “If you get a variety
 of foods throughout the day, they all go into the ‘basket’
of amino acids that are available for the body to use,”
says Winston J. Craig, Ph.D., R.D., nutrition department
chair at Andrews University in Berrien Springs,
www.eatingwell.com/article/16296/the-13-biggets-nutrition-and-foodmyths- busted/. Adaptado.
Considering language use in the text, it’s correct to say:
Questão 32 403576EEAR 2017/1
In the sentence “We mustn’t enter the party. It’s private”, the modal verb in bold type expresses
Questão 85 1387383EN 2014
Which is the correct option to complete the paragraph below?
China's recent rise has made people think that everyone learn Mandarin. But China itself seems to have caught the English bug. Some 175 million Chinese are now studying English in the formal educational system.
(Adapted and abridged from Newsweek)
Questão 32 1354526AFA 2012
Directions: Read the text and answer question
How to Become a Stunt Double
A stunt double stands in for the actor when the action or fight scene gets dangerous or goes beyond the capabilities of the actor. To become a stunt double, you must be in excellent physical condition and have special skills.
1. Exercise regularly if you want to become a stunt double. Eat nutritiously for optimal health and strength.
2. Take lots of lessons because the more skills you have, the better. Gymnastics is extremely important in becoming a stunt double. Get good at trampoline, skateboarding, swimming and high board diving. Take scuba diving lessons. Practice rock climbing and horseback riding. Learn to water ski and snow ski.
3. Enroll in martial arts classes, especially judo. Judo is excellent for learning how to break falls.
4. Get training in CPR(1) and First Aid. This training looks good on a résumé, especially for stunt double careers. Injuries happen.
5. Have valid driver's licenses for both car and motorcycle. Take advanced driving classes so you'll be qualified for difficult driving scenes.
6. Move to Hollywood and plan to work your way up from the bottom. You must get into the Screen Actors Guild(2) and have a union card(3).
Taken from Google
(1) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
(2) Annual prize promoted by the American Syndicate of Actors.
(3) A card certifying membership in an organization.
After reading the first item of the instructions, mark the option that completes the gap in the converted sentence below.
“If you want to become a stunt double you ________ exercise regularly.”